Well Done Dr Rosfaiizah
Dr Rosfaiizah is awarded a highly competitive grant from the Ministry of Education.
Congratulations to Dr Rosfaiizah Siran (above: second from left) who has recently been awarded a RACE grant for her research project entitled “Neuroprotection Via Autophagy Modulation By Neurosteroids With Therapeutic Hypothermia In Hypoxic Ischaemic Cultured Neuronal Cells “. Dr Rosfaiizah Siran and her team are part of the BRAINetwork group of research collaborators and Prof Dr Zalina from BRAINetwork is a co-researcher and mentor to this research project. BRAINetwork is extremely proud of your success.
What is Research Acculturation Collaborative Effort?
RACE is a new initiative set up in 2012 by the Ministry of Education to kick-start research initiatives by non-research universities. It focuses on increasing acculturation of research. Researchers from the five Research Universities – Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), Universiti Malaya (UM), Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM), Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) and Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) will act as mentors.
The RACE grant is highly competitive and funds for the programme are provided by the Mnistry of Education with an initial allocation of RM10 million for the first phase:
- RM5 million from The Ministry of Education
- Matching grants with each RU contributing RM 1 million.
Who is Dr Rosfaiizah and her team at UiTM?
Dr Rosfaiizah Siran graduated from University College Cork (UCC) Cork, Ireland She received her medical degree [BMedSC MB.BCh.BAO (NUI)] in 2003 with Honours in Surgery, Paediatrics and Psychiatry.
She carried out her postgraduate work at BRAINetwork, under the supervision of Prof Dr Zalina. Dr Rosfaiizah Siran subsequently received her PhD from University Sains Malaysia (USM) in 2012. Her research and PhD thesis was on “ The Role of DREAM in the Regulation of Formalin-Induced Pain in Rapid Eye Movement (REM) Sleep Deprived Rats ”.
Currently, Dr Rosfaiizah Siran is a Senior Lecturer in Physiology at the Faculty of Medicine, UiTM. In a very short space of time Dr Rosfaiizah Siran has managed to form her own team of versatile researchers with postgraduate students and grants to support her research. BRAINetwork is proud of the success of this team and are strong supporters of their research projects.
More Info on the UiTM Team
- Dr Andrean Husin
- Dr Noor Azean Anis Abdul Aziz
- Dr Nor Faisal
- Puan Maizatulikhma Mat Zain
- Nik Nasihah Nik Ramli – PhD
- Nursyazwanie Omar – Masters
- Fatin Nur Asyiqin – Research Assistant
- Exploring Down regulatory antagonist (DREAM) as a target gene for enhancing neuroprotective effects of hypothermia treated acute ischaemic stroke rats. 600-RMI/ERGS 5/3 (57/2012). RM123,000
- Mechanisms Of Neuronal Viability Regulation By Down Regulatory Antagonist Modulator (DREAM) In Dihydroxyphenylglycine (DHPG) Treated Acute Ischemic Stroke Rats. 600-RMI/FRGS 5/3 (65/2012). RM93,000
- DREAM induced neuroprotective mechanism via EDEM1 mediated autophagy in Dihydroxyphenylglycine treated acute ischemic stroke rats (600-RMI/RAGS 5/3 (116/2012)) RM80,000
- Hypothermia reduces glutamate induced calcium overloading via glutamate transporter-1 (GLT-1) in cultured neuronal cells (600-RMI/RAGS 5/3 (97/2012) RM80,000